Manage Your Records
How Knack Works
Design Your Database
Do More With Knack
View and Share Your App
Build Your Live Application
Connect Related Data
Reporting & Dashboards
E-Commerce & Payments
Search & Queries
Emails & Notifications
Calculations & Logic
Users & Access
Working with Pages
Deleting a Page That's Being Linked to
Printing Pages & PDFs
Objects & Connections
Plan Your Objects
Plan Your Connections: Complex Example
Plan Your Connections: Simple Example
Connecting Records Together
Use Connections in Your App
Working With Objects
Connections: Troubleshooting & FAQs
Live App Design
Embed Your App
Integrate with Formstack Documents
Integrate with Zapier
Integrate with Integromat
Working with Icons
Other Customization Options
Using Action Links
Using Record Rules
Table Column Settings
Combining Fields from Connected Records in Views
Source: Which Records Will the View Display
Using Display Rules
Using Submit Rules
Working with Records
CSV Format Guide for Importing
Tasks & Emails
Users & Logins
Live App Security Settings
Live App Security Settings: HIPAA Plans
Manage Roles & Permissions
Manage User Records
Users and the Page Menu
Single Sign-On with Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Custom
Logins and Registrations
Working With Support
What is a dedicated support manager?
Is there an option to pay via invoice, check, wire transfer, or something other than a credit card?
Where can I find a copy of my receipt or invoice?
I'm over the storage limit for my account. How do I add more storage or get under the limit?
I'm over the record limit for my account. How do I add more records or get under the limit?
How do I freeze or pause my Knack account?
Need account access or to transfer account access because account owner or colleague left the company
How do I cancel my Knack account?
How do I add more API calls to my account?
How do I remove the "Powered by Knack" logo at the bottom of my app?
How do I give Builder access to a colleague or developer for one of my apps?
How do I change the favicon for my app?
How do I backup or export my apps and data?
How do I white label my app?
How do I copy an app from my account to another account?
How can I track what users are doing in my app?
How do I find the most recent date from a connected object?
How do I move or copy fields or data from one object to another?
How do I add a logo to my app?
How can I change the color of something in my app?
The menu isn't showing for my app on mobile devices. How do I fix that?
How do I create a field that always shows today's date?
How do I show multiple dates on a calendar?
Is there a way to add a display rule to multiple columns at one time instead of having to update each column individually?
How can I show a customer's payment history if I'm collecting payments through my Knack app and through cash or check?
Can I combine two date fields into a single date field? For example, combining a start and end date into a single field?
Is it possible to display more than 100 records at a time on a table, list, or search view?
Is there a way to have new users be automatically logged-in after they register?
Do I need a separate user role object for my Vendors, Customers, Employees, Contacts, etc?
How do I create an "If, Then" or conditional equation?
Does Knack offer a service for building apps or have developers I can hire?
How can I set up my app so users see only their own data?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple images?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple files?
How do I merge my apps, or copy pages, objects, or other app elements between my apps?
Can I share or connect data between apps?
Can I customize the look and feel of my Knack pages?
Can I migrate or transfer data from Zoho, Quickbase, or TrackVia?
Can I add Google Analytics to my Knack app?
Do you have a sandbox or developer environment?
Can I integrate Knack with other data, products, and services?
Can I have an app in a language besides English?
Can I use Knack on mobile devices?
Can I create invoices and accept payments?
Can I migrate my Access, Filemaker, SQL, or other databases?
Can I use a barcode or credit card scanner with Knack?
Can I prototype for others?
Can I send SMS or text messages using Knack?
Can I email PDFs or other attachments to users with Knack?
Can I add chat or messaging to my app?
Can I sell my Knack apps?
Does the signature captured through a signature field constitute a legally binding signature?
How does Knack work on mobile devices? Is it mobile-friendly? Can users download my apps?
Storing sensitive data (credit cards, social security numbers, etc.)
How secure is Knack?
Will Knack sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)?
Does Knack offer access to beta features?
Does Knack offer a partner program?
Is Knack GDPR compliant?
How do I batch download all of the images and files In my app?
Which browsers do you support?
Some of my fields aren't importing correctly. How can I fix that?
I'm having trouble importing into a connection field. What can I do?
I'm seeing an odd character when importing data. How can I get rid of it?
Can I import something other than data? Like objects, pages, views, etc?
My import is failing or getting stuck. What do I do?
Can my users import data from the live app, instead of going through the builder/back-end?
Can I schedule or automate imports?
Can I import data into more than one object at the same time?
Can I undo or reverse an import?
I am importing data for the first time. How do I do that?
How do I update existing data using an import?
My import is taking a long time. Can you take a look?
I'm having trouble importing into a specific type of field. What can I do?
I'm getting an error when importing. What do I do?
Do the validation rules on fields trigger when importing data?
How To Guides
Users & Logins
Save a User's Payment Method
Force Users to Reset Their Passwords
Create a Single Login Page for Multiple User Roles
Show Records Connected To The Logged-in User's Company Or Other Group
Create an Admin User Role to View All Records
Add Read-Only Access For Users
Show Records Connected to the Logged-in User
Add Functionality to Your Live App
Manage Your Records
Use an Edit Form to Create Records If They Don't Exist
Use Zapier to Insert Connected Records
Copy a Record Using Record Rules
Create a Version History for Records
Track When Records are Created and Updated
Track Which User Last Updated a Record
Workflow & Automations
Add Stages to Your App
Add Status Indicators to Your App
Add Assignments to Your App
Notify a User That an Item is Ready for Review
Create a Registration Form with Limited Availability
Add a Pipeline to Your App
Create a Button or Link that Updates a Field to a Custom Value
Add Notification & Reminder Emails to Your App
Approve New Records Before Displaying Them
Store Multiple Images or Files for Individual Records
Use Multiple Image Sources for a Single Image Field
Work with Connected Records
How to Show Multiple Fields in Your Connection Drop-Down
Showing Parent-Child Records in the Live App
Logic, Equations & Formulas
How to Display Multiple Date Formats Using a Single Date Field
How To Number Line Items
Show Upcoming Birthdays
How to Set a Random ID
Display a Message When a Deadline is Approaching
Generate Simple Numeric Barcodes Automatically
Calculate Age in Years from a Birthday
How to Extract the Start and End Dates from a Date Field
Start an Auto Increment Field from Any Number
How to Add Inline Editing to a Table
Create a Print-Friendly Invoice Page
How to Click on an Image to Go to Another Page
How to Add Connection Links to Views
How to Add a Map to a Details View
How to Add Groupings to a Table
Reports, Queries, and Summaries
Build a Quiz App
Build an Inventory Manager App
Build an Orders App
Build a Warehouse Manager App
Build a Member Directory
Build a Map Directory or Store Locator App
Create a Multi-Part Form
How to Change the Layout of Forms
How to Add Instructions to a Form
How to Customize the Text on a Submit Button
How to Limit an Uploaded File’s Size
How to Automatically Capture a User’s Location on a Form
How to Allow Users to Add New Options in Forms
How to Use URL Variables to Pre-Populate a Form
Add Read-Only Fields to a Form
How to Create Dynamic Dropdowns in Forms
Manage Your Account
Security & Infrastructure
Builder Two-Factor Authentication
Builder Security Settings for All Knack Plans
Security Best Practices
Manage Your Account
Table of Contents
Updated by Danielle Kellogg
What are Lists?
List views are used to display multiple records from an object in your database using a flexible layout of rows.
Any of the fields from that object can be used as details in the list. Each record in a list can be linked to a child scene to edit or view more details about that record.
Manage List Views
Adding, editing and deleting views are managed the same regardless of view type. To learn how to add, edit, and delete list views from your app, see About Views.
To access the settings of a list view, hover your mouse over the view and click on the pencil icon that appears at the top left of the view. This will open options for Source, List Settings and List Details which can be edited in the toolbox to the left of the page preview.
The source section is used to control which records the list will display and how they will be displayed. Here you can add filters to limit records, define the sorting and limit the number of records shown.
- Data: the table will display all the object's records by default. Use the data section to add rules to limit which records will be displayed.
- Sort: control the default sort order of which records will be displayed first.
- Limit: show all the available records or limit to a specific number.
The List Settings section provides options for formatting your list and how users will be able to interact with your list in the Live app.
The list layout allows you to display the records in your list in 1, 2, or 3 columns.
Hide Fields Without Values
Enabling this option will hide any fields from the list view that do not have a value in that record.
Displaying a keyword search will present a search field above the table for the user to enter keywords to filter which records will display. These keywords will search the entire record.
On the search results display, a “reset” link will appear. Clicking this will reset all search criteria to easily search again with new criteria.
Enabling exporting allows the user to export all the data from the list into another format. An export link will appear in the top left, with options for downloading in a CSV, Text, or JSON format.
With this option you set the label formatting with the options: Left aligned, Right aligned, Top - above the value, and None - hide label.
Empty List Text
Here you can customize the text that will display with there are no records in your list view. The default text is “no data”.
Pagination determines how many records will show at one time. If the total number of records exceeds the number set here, then links will be added to the list to navigate to additional pages, displaying more records.
The pagination section contains three features that you can enable to customize your list view:
- Set how many records (10, 25, 50, or 100) to view at a time
- Let the user set how many records to view per page: This allows the user to change how many records they are viewing per page.
- Show pagination controls at the bottom of the list: this will display pagination controls at the bottom of the list as well as at the top. By default this will be the "page X of X" display. If the feature to allow users to set how many records to view per page is enabled (see previous bullet point) this option will also show at the bottom of the list.
The options in the Filters section allow you enable or disable filters for your users. Filters give the user tools to further refine which records the list will show.
- Don’t allow records to be filtered: this option will remove filter options from the list view and your users will not be able to filter the records.
- Allow users to add custom filters: this options will allow your users to add their own custom filters. You can refine this to allow all fields in the object to be filtered or only fields present in the list view. In addition you can add starting filters that will automatically be applied when the page is loaded.
- Use a filter menu: this allows you to set a predefined filter menu that your users can navigate through. With this option users can’t add their own custom filters.
Title & Description
This section allows you to customize the title and description for the list view. The title will be added directly above the view in your Live App. The description will be added above your view below the title. Descriptions can be used to give your users more context about how to use a view.
The “List Details” section is where you control what content is available in the list view. Here you can add and remove fields, add action links and static elements to the list view.
This section is split into four areas:
- Fields: Here you can add and remove fields from the primary object of the record being displayed.
- Connections: Here you can add and remove fields from any connected objects which are connected to the primary object of the record being displayed.
- Actions: Here you can add links to perform actions like, editing, deleting, viewing more details, triggering an action or linking to another page.
- Static: Here you can add additional titles, instructions, or dividers within your list view.
Fields: Adding & Editing Fields
The “Fields” tab on the “List Details” section when editing a details view contains all fields available in the primary object which is being used for this view.
To add a field to your list view, you can either click on the field in the list in the toolbox, or drag and drop the field into your details view in the preview.
To edit a field on the list view, hover over the field in the preview and click the pen icon. This will open the Item Properties for that field in the toolbox to the left. Here you can update the label format, label title and styling.
- Label Format: use the label format set for the group or use "Hide Label" to hide the label and just show the field value.
- Label: the label displayed with the field value. This defaults to the field name.
- Style: this allows you to style the field with header 1, header 2, bold or italics.
- Map: this option only appears for Address field types and will show a map of the address above the listed address. Once you’ve selected this option, you can customize the size of the map.
Fields can also be rearranged in the details view by clicking and dragging a field to a new place.
To remove fields from your list view, hover over the field in the page preview and click the trash can icon.
Connections: Adding & Removing Connected Fields
The connections tab allows you to add fields from objects connected to the primary object being displayed. So you can display connected values without having to include those values directly in the primary object’s record.
The actions tab allows you to add links which trigger actions to your list view. Action links can be used to do things like add links to edit or delete the record, link to another page, or trigger an action.
These are the following action links available:
- Edit record: this will create a new child page with a form to edit this record. Clicking on the link will go to that page to edit the record.
- View record details: this will create a new child page displaying all the details for this record. Clicking on the link will go to that page to view those details.
- Delete record: this will add a link to delete a record. When the user clicks on the link they will be asked to confirm the delete. Clicking yes will then remove the record from the app.
- Link to another page: reuse another page you've already created by linking to it. For example, if you already had a complex scene that was showing details about a contact record, we could link to that scene instead of recreating it.
- Trigger an action: this option adds a link which will trigger an action, such as updating a record, updating a connected record, inserting a connected record or sending a custom email
Adding Static Elements
In addition to fields from your objects, you can also add static elements to your list. This includes additional title/copy and dividers to help add more context to your list view.
- Title/Copy: This will add a section to display additional text content as either a section title or description.
- Divider: This will display a divider on the list view wherever this is placed. This is great for separating your list view into sections.