This article aims to offer comprehensive insights into the different Grid view settings that can be accessed in your Knack app.
This article provides a more detailed overview of the settings that can be adjusted in a Grid view. When you edit a grid view, you will find the grid settings section, which offers additional options for user experience enhancement.
The Options section offers several customizable features that enable you to enhance your Grid view further:
- Keyword Search: The Keyword Search feature adds a search field above the grid, allowing users to enter keywords for filtering records. When displaying search results, a "reset" link will appear, which can be clicked to easily reset all search criteria and conduct a new search with different criteria.
- Which fields can be searched?: You have the option of selecting "The fields being used by the this view" or "All fields in table".
- Record Exporting: This feature adds a convenient link above the grid, enabling users to effortlessly export all data from the grid into various formats such as CSV, JSON, or TXT.
- Inline Editing: This feature empowers users to conveniently modify each field within the grid, eliminating the need for a separate form view. To learn more about inline editing, see this article here.
- Hide Empty Columns: Enabling this feature will hide all columns that have blank values from the Grid view.
- Empty Grid Text: This allows you to input the text you would like to display when there is no data available.
- Column Summaries: To learn more about column summaries, see this section of the Grid Column Settings article.
The inclusion of a keyword search will provide users with a search field located above the grid, allowing them to enter keywords in order to filter the displayed records. These keywords will be used to search the entire record.
A "reset" link will be displayed on the search results page. Clicking on this link will reset all search criteria, allowing for easy searching with new criteria.
The keyword search will be combined with any rules to filter records that were added to the Source section of the Grid view.
Exporting enables users to effortlessly export all data from the grid into various formats. An "export" button will be displayed in the top left corner, providing options to download the data in formats such as CSV, Text, or JSON.
The exported data will always reflect the exact data the grid is displaying, including any sorting and filters.
When inline editing is enabled, users can easily edit each field within the grid by simply clicking on a grid cell. A form will then appear over the cell, allowing them to make edits directly.
Inline editing can also be disabled for specific fields. When editing a column, select "No" in the Allow Inline Editing dropdown to disable inline editing for that column:
To learn more about implementing inline editing to your Grid view, see this article here.
Hide Empty Columns
By enabling the "Hide empty columns" option, you can hide any columns on the grid that do not have any data.
Empty Grid Text
In cases where the grid does not contain any data to display, the grid will automatically present the text "No Data" as the default message. You have the ability to modify the text that is displayed when the grid does not have any records to show.
Column summaries are utilized to perform calculations on all the rows within the column, resulting in a summary displayed at the bottom of your grid.
You have the option to include Formula options, such as Sum, Average, Minimum, and Maximum, to your grid as well.
Labels can be placed in a left column, if one is available. Multiple summaries can be added using the green "add" buttons.
If you want to disable column summaries for a specific column when they are enabled, you can easily do so by hovering over the column and clicking on the pencil edit icon. Then, select "No" in the Allow Summary dropdown to hide the summary for that column.
Pagination controls determine the number of records displayed at once. If the total number of records exceeds the set limit, buttons will be added to the grid, enabling users to navigate to additional pages and view more records.
Options here include:
- Set how many records to display at a time: Grids can be set to show 10, 25, 50, or 100 records at a time.
- Let the user change the amount: After the page has finished loading, users will have the option to select the number of records they want to view per page. They will have the flexibility to choose between 10, 25, 50, 100, 500, or 1000 records.
- Repeat pagination controls below the view: This will display navigation buttons at the bottom of the grid, allowing users to easily navigate to different pages of the grid to view more data.
Below is an example showcasing a grid view with pagination links displayed at the top of the grid:
There are three options available in the Filter Options section that allow you to define how filters function with your grid:
- Don't allow records to be filtered: This setting will hide filter options in the Live App view.
- Allow users to add custom filters: This feature will add a button labeled "add filters" to the grid, giving users the ability to filter records based on more specific criteria.
- Use a filter menu: This feature enables the addition of a custom filter menu to the grid.
User Added Custom Filters
Enabling the "Allow users to add custom filters" option will introduce an "add filters" button to the grid, providing users with the capability to utilize advanced filtering options.
- Which fields can be filtered: You have the ability to restrict the fields that can be used in the filters.
- The fields being used by this view: This setting restricts the fields that can be used in the filters added by the user to only those fields used in this grid view.
- All the table’s fields: This setting enables all fields in the table to be utilized in the grid's fields.
- Filter defaults: Enables you to include predefined filters that will be automatically applied when the grid is first loaded on the page.
Filter menus add a preconfigured filter menu above the grid view. You have the option to select which filters will be applied and customize the button text for each filter in the menu.
Please note that these filter menus cannot be modified by the user in the Live App.