Manage Your Records
How Knack Works
Design Your Database
Do More With Knack
View and Share Your App
Build Your Live Application
Connect Related Data
Reporting & Dashboards
E-Commerce & Payments
Search & Queries
Emails & Notifications
Calculations & Logic
Users & Access
Working with Pages
Deleting a Page That's Being Linked to
Printing Pages & PDFs
Objects & Connections
Plan Your Objects
Plan Your Connections: Complex Example
Plan Your Connections: Simple Example
Connecting Records Together
Use Connections in Your App
Working With Objects
Connections: Troubleshooting & FAQs
Live App Design
Embed Your App
Integrate with Formstack Documents
Integrate with Zapier
Integrate with Integromat
Working with Icons
Other Customization Options
Using Action Links
Using Record Rules
Table Column Settings
Combining Fields from Connected Records in Views
Source: Which Records Will the View Display
Using Display Rules
Using Submit Rules
Working with Records
CSV Format Guide for Importing
Tasks & Emails
Users & Logins
Live App Security Settings
Live App Security Settings: HIPAA Plans
Manage Roles & Permissions
Manage User Records
Users and the Page Menu
Single Sign-On with Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Custom
Logins and Registrations
Working With Support
What is a dedicated support manager?
Is there an option to pay via invoice, check, wire transfer, or something other than a credit card?
Where can I find a copy of my receipt or invoice?
I'm over the storage limit for my account. How do I add more storage or get under the limit?
I'm over the record limit for my account. How do I add more records or get under the limit?
How do I freeze or pause my Knack account?
Need account access or to transfer account access because account owner or colleague left the company
How do I cancel my Knack account?
How do I add more API calls to my account?
How do I remove the "Powered by Knack" logo at the bottom of my app?
How do I give Builder access to a colleague or developer for one of my apps?
How do I change the favicon for my app?
How do I backup or export my apps and data?
How do I white label my app?
How do I copy an app from my account to another account?
How can I track what users are doing in my app?
How do I find the most recent date from a connected object?
How do I move or copy fields or data from one object to another?
How do I add a logo to my app?
How can I change the color of something in my app?
The menu isn't showing for my app on mobile devices. How do I fix that?
How do I create a field that always shows today's date?
How do I show multiple dates on a calendar?
Is there a way to add a display rule to multiple columns at one time instead of having to update each column individually?
How can I show a customer's payment history if I'm collecting payments through my Knack app and through cash or check?
Can I combine two date fields into a single date field? For example, combining a start and end date into a single field?
Is it possible to display more than 100 records at a time on a table, list, or search view?
Is there a way to have new users be automatically logged-in after they register?
Do I need a separate user role object for my Vendors, Customers, Employees, Contacts, etc?
How do I create an "If, Then" or conditional equation?
Does Knack offer a service for building apps or have developers I can hire?
How can I set up my app so users see only their own data?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple images?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple files?
How do I merge my apps, or copy pages, objects, or other app elements between my apps?
Can I share or connect data between apps?
Can I customize the look and feel of my Knack pages?
Can I migrate or transfer data from Zoho, Quickbase, or TrackVia?
Can I add Google Analytics to my Knack app?
Do you have a sandbox or developer environment?
Can I integrate Knack with other data, products, and services?
Can I have an app in a language besides English?
Can I use Knack on mobile devices?
Can I create invoices and accept payments?
Can I migrate my Access, Filemaker, SQL, or other databases?
Can I use a barcode or credit card scanner with Knack?
Can I prototype for others?
Can I send SMS or text messages using Knack?
Can I email PDFs or other attachments to users with Knack?
Can I add chat or messaging to my app?
Can I sell my Knack apps?
Does the signature captured through a signature field constitute a legally binding signature?
How does Knack work on mobile devices? Is it mobile-friendly? Can users download my apps?
Storing sensitive data (credit cards, social security numbers, etc.)
How secure is Knack?
Will Knack sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)?
Does Knack offer access to beta features?
Does Knack offer a partner program?
Is Knack GDPR compliant?
How do I batch download all of the images and files In my app?
Which browsers do you support?
Some of my fields aren't importing correctly. How can I fix that?
I'm having trouble importing into a connection field. What can I do?
I'm seeing an odd character when importing data. How can I get rid of it?
Can I import something other than data? Like objects, pages, views, etc?
My import is failing or getting stuck. What do I do?
Can my users import data from the live app, instead of going through the builder/back-end?
Can I schedule or automate imports?
Can I import data into more than one object at the same time?
Can I undo or reverse an import?
I am importing data for the first time. How do I do that?
How do I update existing data using an import?
My import is taking a long time. Can you take a look?
I'm having trouble importing into a specific type of field. What can I do?
I'm getting an error when importing. What do I do?
Do the validation rules on fields trigger when importing data?
How To Guides
Users & Logins
Save a User's Payment Method
Force Users to Reset Their Passwords
Create a Single Login Page for Multiple User Roles
Show Records Connected To The Logged-in User's Company Or Other Group
Create an Admin User Role to View All Records
Add Read-Only Access For Users
Show Records Connected to the Logged-in User
Add Functionality to Your Live App
Manage Your Records
Use an Edit Form to Create Records If They Don't Exist
Use Zapier to Insert Connected Records
Copy a Record Using Record Rules
Create a Version History for Records
Track When Records are Created and Updated
Track Which User Last Updated a Record
Workflow & Automations
Add Stages to Your App
Add Status Indicators to Your App
Add Assignments to Your App
Notify a User That an Item is Ready for Review
Create a Registration Form with Limited Availability
Add a Pipeline to Your App
Create a Button or Link that Updates a Field to a Custom Value
Add Notification & Reminder Emails to Your App
Approve New Records Before Displaying Them
Store Multiple Images or Files for Individual Records
Use Multiple Image Sources for a Single Image Field
Work with Connected Records
How to Show Multiple Fields in Your Connection Drop-Down
Showing Parent-Child Records in the Live App
Logic, Equations & Formulas
How to Display Multiple Date Formats Using a Single Date Field
How To Number Line Items
Show Upcoming Birthdays
How to Set a Random ID
Display a Message When a Deadline is Approaching
Generate Simple Numeric Barcodes Automatically
Calculate Age in Years from a Birthday
How to Extract the Start and End Dates from a Date Field
Start an Auto Increment Field from Any Number
How to Add Inline Editing to a Table
Create a Print-Friendly Invoice Page
How to Click on an Image to Go to Another Page
How to Add Connection Links to Views
How to Add a Map to a Details View
How to Add Groupings to a Table
Reports, Queries, and Summaries
Build a Quiz App
Build an Inventory Manager App
Build an Orders App
Build a Warehouse Manager App
Build a Member Directory
Build a Map Directory or Store Locator App
Create a Multi-Part Form
How to Change the Layout of Forms
How to Add Instructions to a Form
How to Customize the Text on a Submit Button
How to Limit an Uploaded File’s Size
How to Automatically Capture a User’s Location on a Form
How to Allow Users to Add New Options in Forms
How to Use URL Variables to Pre-Populate a Form
Add Read-Only Fields to a Form
How to Create Dynamic Dropdowns in Forms
Manage Your Account
Security & Infrastructure
Builder Two-Factor Authentication
Builder Security Settings for All Knack Plans
Security Best Practices
Manage Your Account
Table of Contents
Updated by Danielle Kellogg
What are Calendars?
A calendar view is used to display multiple records from your database in a Calendar viewable from your live app.
What do Calendars look like in the Live App?
Calendars display multiple records from one of the objects in your database in a graphical calendar interface.
Calendars can be displayed in multiple formats, such as a month, week, or day views:
Clicking on a calendar event can display more details in a popup. Each record’s details can be linked to a child page to edit or view more details about that record:
What do I need to use Calendars?
Calendar views are only available if a Date/Time field is used in your app. Further, only objects that have at least one Date/Time field will be available as an option to display records within a calendar view.
Where do I access Calendars?
Calendar views can be added and accessed in the Pages section of the Builder, in the same manner, other view types are accessed and added.
Calendar views can be added using the “Add View” button. Existing calendar views can be found by navigating a specific page in your Builder that contains that view type.
To learn more about how to add, edit, and delete calendar views from your app, see About Views.
New calendars will default to use the first date/time field as its source to display records in the calendar, the first short text field as the label by default, and the first six fields for displaying popup details.
To access the settings of a calendar view, hover your mouse over the view and click on the pencil icon that appears at the top left of the view.
This will open the view settings in the toolbox to the left of the view preview. For calendar views you will have the following options:
- Calendar Settings
- Event Details
- New Event Form
The Source section is used to control the records the calendar will display.
The calendar will display all the object's records by default, however in the Source section of the settings you can customize which records are shown by adding additional rules and limits.
- Data: add additional rules to limit which records will be displayed. For example, you could add a rule to only show Events that have a status of “approved”
- Limit: show all the available records or limit to a specific number.
Click here for more on working with the view source.
The Calendar Settings section is used to control how the calendar works with your object to display events:
- Display: Calendar or List. The Calendar option is the default choice here when using a typical graphical interface. The list option lets you display as rows of text but still lets you navigate by the different ranges or days, weeks or months.
- Starting Range: the calendar has options to display in multiple date ranges: by month, by week, and by day. The user will be able to change which range they display the calendar in. This selection sets the starting range.
- Date Field: select a field that the calendar will use as the date to place each event on the calendar. This field must be Date/Time type.
- Label Field: select a label field that the calendar will display along with the date on the calendar. Choose a title, name, or any other field that can easily identify the whole record.
- Week Start: select if you want the week on your calendar to start on Sunday or Monday.
- Exclude Weekends: check this option to remove weekends from the calendar.
- Starting & Ending Time: limits the time range shown in week and day views.
- Feeds: Feeds give the user options to download feeds that include all the events the calendar is displaying:
- Show RSS Feed Link: an RSS feed can be subscribed to and will automatically update events in an RSS feed reader.
- Show iCal Download Link: a downloadable format that can be used to import the current events into another calendar service. Only the date/time and label field values will be included.
Notes on Feeds:
- The iCal download/URL of your calendar events will include only the upcoming and previous six months of events, based on the date you download the events. The iCal format will also not update with new events automatically from your App to the secondary calendar.
- The feed will not work if it's meant to show records connected to the logged-in user, or similar. Only the date/time and label field values will be included.
- You can sync Knack calendar events to a Google calendar by right-clicking the iCal download link (on your Live App calendar view) and selecting the "Copy Link Address" option. You can then paste that URL into the “Add by URL” option in the Other Calendars section of your Google Calendar.
- If you get an error, "We could not parse the calendar at the URL requested.", it likely is due to the file size of your iCal .ics file. Google recommends a file size of less than 1MB, so the number of records or other filters may need to be applied to keep the file size under that limit.
Event Options: these options enable additional user options when clicking on a date/time on the calendar:
- Click on an event to show details: when activated, the user can click on each event to view more details about that event in a popup window. See the Event Details section below for formatting this popup.
- Click on the calendar to add events: when activated, the user can click on a day in the calendar to add a new event. The date field will default to the day that was clicked. See the Add Event Form section below for formatting this form.
- Drag events to different times: when activated, the user can drag an event and move it to change the date, time, and duration.
- Label Format: define the style which field labels will be shown on event details.
- Event Colors: add rules to display events in different colors based on the criteria you add.
Filters Options: allow you to define who and how your records can be filtered on the view.
- Don’t allow records to be filtered: Disabling this will allow users to add any filters they'd like to the calendar. This will then display an "add filters" link above the calendar:
- Allow users to add custom filters: filters give the user tools to further refine which records the calendar will show. You can add filters as options for the user to add, or as a menu.
Allowing users to add filters will display a filter button above the calendar view as seen below.
The calendar will update as soon as a filter is added. Multiple filters can be added as needed.
- Which fields can be filters: You can determine which fields are available t o use as filters. This can be limited to the fields used in the calendar view or all the fields in the object.
- Filter presets: You can add preset filters that will initially filter the records when the page loads.
Use a filter menu: Enabling a filter menu will present links above the calendar the user can click that will filter the records based on the rules you create.
Title & Description: here you can title your calendar view and add a description to give you users more context on what is included in this calendar.
- Title: the text here will display as the main title above the calendar view.
- Description: here you can add additional description text that will display below the calendar title
If your calendar is configured to show more details about a record when you click on it in the calendar, you can manage that details appear here. This follows the same model as the Details view.
Click here for more on managing Details views.
Add Event Form
If your calendar is configured to allow new records to be added when the calendar is clicked, you can manage the form inputs here. This follows the same model as the Form view.
Click here for more on managing form inputs.
Notes and Troubleshooting
- When using a Date/Time field with calendar options turned enabled, if the end date is set before the start date's value, the calendar will utilize the end date as the start date, and vice versa.
- If a calendar view is set to display in the month view, on the Add Event Form in the Live App, the "All Day" option will be checked by default. Week and day view displays of a calendar view do not have the "All Day" option default checked when adding a new event.