Manage Your Records
How Knack Works
Design Your Database
Do More With Knack
View and Share Your App
Build Your Live Application
Connect Related Data
Reporting & Dashboards
E-Commerce & Payments
Search & Queries
Emails & Notifications
Calculations & Logic
Users & Access
Working with Pages
Deleting a Page That's Being Linked to
Printing Pages & PDFs
Objects & Connections
Plan Your Objects
Plan Your Connections: Complex Example
Plan Your Connections: Simple Example
Connecting Records Together
Use Connections in Your App
Working With Objects
Connections: Troubleshooting & FAQs
Live App Design
Embed Your App
Integrate with Formstack Documents
Integrate with Zapier
Integrate with Integromat
Working with Icons
Other Customization Options
Using Action Links
Using Record Rules
Table Column Settings
Combining Fields from Connected Records in Views
Source: Which Records Will the View Display
Using Display Rules
Using Submit Rules
Working with Records
CSV Format Guide for Importing
Tasks & Emails
Users & Logins
Live App Security Settings
Live App Security Settings: HIPAA Plans
Manage Roles & Permissions
Manage User Records
Users and the Page Menu
Single Sign-On with Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Custom
Logins and Registrations
Working With Support
What is a dedicated support manager?
Is there an option to pay via invoice, check, wire transfer, or something other than a credit card?
Where can I find a copy of my receipt or invoice?
I'm over the storage limit for my account. How do I add more storage or get under the limit?
I'm over the record limit for my account. How do I add more records or get under the limit?
How do I freeze or pause my Knack account?
Need account access or to transfer account access because account owner or colleague left the company
How do I cancel my Knack account?
How do I add more API calls to my account?
How do I remove the "Powered by Knack" logo at the bottom of my app?
How do I give Builder access to a colleague or developer for one of my apps?
How do I change the favicon for my app?
How do I backup or export my apps and data?
How do I white label my app?
How do I copy an app from my account to another account?
How can I track what users are doing in my app?
How do I find the most recent date from a connected object?
How do I move or copy fields or data from one object to another?
How do I add a logo to my app?
How can I change the color of something in my app?
The menu isn't showing for my app on mobile devices. How do I fix that?
How do I create a field that always shows today's date?
How do I show multiple dates on a calendar?
Is there a way to add a display rule to multiple columns at one time instead of having to update each column individually?
How can I show a customer's payment history if I'm collecting payments through my Knack app and through cash or check?
Can I combine two date fields into a single date field? For example, combining a start and end date into a single field?
Is it possible to display more than 100 records at a time on a table, list, or search view?
Is there a way to have new users be automatically logged-in after they register?
Do I need a separate user role object for my Vendors, Customers, Employees, Contacts, etc?
How do I create an "If, Then" or conditional equation?
Does Knack offer a service for building apps or have developers I can hire?
How can I set up my app so users see only their own data?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple images?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple files?
How do I merge my apps, or copy pages, objects, or other app elements between my apps?
Can I share or connect data between apps?
Can I customize the look and feel of my Knack pages?
Can I migrate or transfer data from Zoho, Quickbase, or TrackVia?
Can I add Google Analytics to my Knack app?
Do you have a sandbox or developer environment?
Can I integrate Knack with other data, products, and services?
Can I have an app in a language besides English?
Can I use Knack on mobile devices?
Can I create invoices and accept payments?
Can I migrate my Access, Filemaker, SQL, or other databases?
Can I use a barcode or credit card scanner with Knack?
Can I prototype for others?
Can I send SMS or text messages using Knack?
Can I email PDFs or other attachments to users with Knack?
Can I add chat or messaging to my app?
Can I sell my Knack apps?
Does the signature captured through a signature field constitute a legally binding signature?
How does Knack work on mobile devices? Is it mobile-friendly? Can users download my apps?
Storing sensitive data (credit cards, social security numbers, etc.)
How secure is Knack?
Will Knack sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)?
Does Knack offer access to beta features?
Does Knack offer a partner program?
Is Knack GDPR compliant?
How do I batch download all of the images and files In my app?
Which browsers do you support?
Some of my fields aren't importing correctly. How can I fix that?
I'm having trouble importing into a connection field. What can I do?
I'm seeing an odd character when importing data. How can I get rid of it?
Can I import something other than data? Like objects, pages, views, etc?
My import is failing or getting stuck. What do I do?
Can my users import data from the live app, instead of going through the builder/back-end?
Can I schedule or automate imports?
Can I import data into more than one object at the same time?
Can I undo or reverse an import?
I am importing data for the first time. How do I do that?
How do I update existing data using an import?
My import is taking a long time. Can you take a look?
I'm having trouble importing into a specific type of field. What can I do?
I'm getting an error when importing. What do I do?
Do the validation rules on fields trigger when importing data?
How To Guides
Users & Logins
Save a User's Payment Method
Force Users to Reset Their Passwords
Create a Single Login Page for Multiple User Roles
Show Records Connected To The Logged-in User's Company Or Other Group
Create an Admin User Role to View All Records
Add Read-Only Access For Users
Show Records Connected to the Logged-in User
Add Functionality to Your Live App
Manage Your Records
Use an Edit Form to Create Records If They Don't Exist
Use Zapier to Insert Connected Records
Copy a Record Using Record Rules
Create a Version History for Records
Track When Records are Created and Updated
Track Which User Last Updated a Record
Workflow & Automations
Add Stages to Your App
Add Status Indicators to Your App
Add Assignments to Your App
Notify a User That an Item is Ready for Review
Create a Registration Form with Limited Availability
Add a Pipeline to Your App
Create a Button or Link that Updates a Field to a Custom Value
Add Notification & Reminder Emails to Your App
Approve New Records Before Displaying Them
Store Multiple Images or Files for Individual Records
Use Multiple Image Sources for a Single Image Field
Work with Connected Records
How to Show Multiple Fields in Your Connection Drop-Down
Showing Parent-Child Records in the Live App
Logic, Equations & Formulas
How to Display Multiple Date Formats Using a Single Date Field
How To Number Line Items
Show Upcoming Birthdays
How to Set a Random ID
Display a Message When a Deadline is Approaching
Generate Simple Numeric Barcodes Automatically
Calculate Age in Years from a Birthday
How to Extract the Start and End Dates from a Date Field
Start an Auto Increment Field from Any Number
How to Add Inline Editing to a Table
Create a Print-Friendly Invoice Page
How to Click on an Image to Go to Another Page
How to Add Connection Links to Views
How to Add a Map to a Details View
How to Add Groupings to a Table
Reports, Queries, and Summaries
Build a Quiz App
Build an Inventory Manager App
Build an Orders App
Build a Warehouse Manager App
Build a Member Directory
Build a Map Directory or Store Locator App
Create a Multi-Part Form
How to Change the Layout of Forms
How to Add Instructions to a Form
How to Customize the Text on a Submit Button
How to Limit an Uploaded File’s Size
How to Automatically Capture a User’s Location on a Form
How to Allow Users to Add New Options in Forms
How to Use URL Variables to Pre-Populate a Form
Add Read-Only Fields to a Form
How to Create Dynamic Dropdowns in Forms
Manage Your Account
Security & Infrastructure
Builder Two-Factor Authentication
Builder Security Settings for All Knack Plans
Security Best Practices
Manage Your Account
Table of Contents
Updated by Sarto Jama
What are Maps?
A maps view is used to display records from your database on a map in your Live App.
Knack uses HERE Maps to display maps and geocode Address field values. You can also use Google as your provider by adding your own API key. This setting can be found on the App Settings > Map Provider page. To learn more about using HERE maps, Google maps, and the differences between them, see our article App Settings: Map Provider.
- The map view is currently only available on the Pro plan and above.
- Maps can only display objects that have an Address field. This address field will be geolocated and will determine which records the map will display.
- When using the latitude/longitude coordinates option for an address field, that location will display as the nearest street address on a map view, rather than the exact coordinates.
- Map views will automatically generate direction links that, when clicked, will open a new window for Google Maps where the user can get directions.
- Address fields used in Map views where the “Address Autocomplete” functionality is enabled will allow this autocomplete functionality in the search input.
What do maps look like in the Live App?
Maps display multiple records from one of the objects in your database in a graphical HERE map:
On the search results display, a “reset” link will appear. Clicking this will reset all search criteria to easily search again with new criteria.
You can also choose to use Google maps by entering your own API key. See the section above for more details on this.
To learn how to add, edit, and delete map views from your app, see About Views.
To access the settings of a map view, hover your mouse over the view and click on the pencil icon that appears at the top left of the view.
The source section is used to control the records the map will display.
- Filters: the map will display all the object's records by default. Use the data section to add rules to limit which records will be displayed.
- Sort: control the default sort order of which records will be displayed first.
- Limit: show all the available records or limit to a specific number.
Click here for more on working with the source.
The Map Settings section is used to control how the map works with your object to display addresses:
- Address Field: select a field that the map will use as the address to place each location on the map. This field must be the Address type.
- Note: New maps will use the first address field to display records in the map, as well as the first short text field as a label when displaying address details.
- Title Field: select a field the map will use to display for an address point. Choose a title, name, or other field that can easily identify the whole record.
- Map Size: the dimensions of the map in pixels. Use these to control how big you want the map to be.
- List Width: the width of the list that displays to the right of the map and contains the record details (see below). If the map and list width combined won't fit on the screen, then the list will bump below the map and be the same width as the map.
- Units: select which unit of measuring distance will be used on the map: Miles or Kilometers.
- Starting Range: the distance of the range to search by based on the selected unit (above). A record address must be within this distance of the searched address.
- Starting Point: Blank, Specific Address, or User's Current Location. If Blank, then no records will show until the user initiates a search. If an address is provided then the map will start with records closest to that address. When using the User's Current Location, the browser will ask the user's permission to locate them and use that location.
- Pin Colors: add custom rules to display different pin colors based on criteria you define.
- Pagination: pagination determines how many records will show at one time. If the total number of records exceeds the pagination number, then links will be added to the table to navigate all the pages. Options here include:
- Set how many records to show at a time
- Let the user set how many records to view per page
- Show pagination controls at bottom of view
- Filters: filters give the user tools to further refine which records the map will show. You can add filters as options for the user to add, or as a menu.
- User Filters: enabling user filters presents options for a user to add any filters they'd like to the map. This will then display an "add filter" link above the map. The map will update as soon as a filter is added. Multiple filters can be added as needed. You can determine if the fields available to filter are limited to the map details or all the object's fields. You can add preset filters that will initially filter the records.
- Filter Menu: enabling a filter menu will present links above the map the user can click that will filter the records based on the rules you create.
The List Details section controls the list that displays to the right of the map with additional details about each record:
This follows the same model as the details view.
In the Design section of the view editor, you can customize the title and description of your map or leave them blank.
Here is what a form looks like with no title or description:
Here is what a form with a title and description looks like:
Searching a Map
Knack uses HERE Maps to display maps and geocode Address field values.
HERE Maps currently support the below searches:
- street address + city
- street address + state
- street address + city + state
- city + state
- state (resolves to the state capital)
Unsupported searches include:
- street address only
- city only
- ZIP code only
- county only
There are several How-To Guides that involve using map views and our location features for capturing and displaying records: