How Knack Works
Design Your Database
Manage Your Records
Build Your Live Application
View and Share Your App
Do More With Knack
Connect Related Data
Users & Access
Calculations & Logic
Emails & Notifications
Search & Queries
Reporting & Dashboards
E-Commerce & Payments
Objects & Connections
Plan Your Connections: Complex Example
Working With Objects
Plan Your Connections: Simple Example
Plan Your Objects
Use Connections in Your App
Connecting Records Together
Connections: Troubleshooting & FAQs
Numeric Equation Functions
Date Equation Settings
Numeric Equation Settings
Text Formula Functions
CSV Format Guide for Importing
Working with Records
Deleting a Page That's Being Linked to
Working with Pages
Navigating the Page Preview
Printing Pages & PDFs
Table Column Settings
Source: Which Records Will the View Display
Using Action Links
Combining Fields from Connected Records in Views
Using Record Rules
Using Display Rules
Using Submit Rules
Users & Logins
Users and the Page Menu
Manage Roles & Permissions
Single Sign-On with Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Custom
Manage User Records
Logins and Registrations
Live App Security Settings: HIPAA Plans
Live App Security Settings
Tasks & Emails
How do I cancel my Knack account?
I'm over the storage limit for my account. How do I add more storage or get under the limit?
Need account access or to transfer account access because account owner or colleague left the company
I'm over the record limit for my account. How do I add more records or get under the limit?
Is there an option to pay via invoice, check, wire transfer, or something other than a credit card?
How do I freeze or pause my Knack account?
Where can I find a copy of my receipt or invoice?
How do I add more API calls to my account?
How do I change the favicon for my app?
How do I backup or export my apps and data?
How can I track what users are doing in my app?
How do I remove the "Powered by Knack" logo at the bottom of my app?
How do I give Builder access to a colleague or developer for one of my apps?
How do I white label my app?
How do I copy an app from my account to another account?
How do I show multiple dates on a calendar?
How do I add a logo to my app?
How do I find the most recent date from a connected object?
How do I create a field that always shows today's date?
Can I share or connect data between apps?
How do I create an "If, Then" or conditional equation?
How do I merge my apps, or copy pages, objects, or other app elements between my apps?
The menu isn't showing for my app on mobile devices. How do I fix that?
Is there a way to have new users be automatically logged-in after they register?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple files?
How do I move or copy fields or data from one object to another?
How can I show a customer's payment history if I'm collecting payments through my Knack app and through cash or check?
Is there a way to add a display rule to multiple columns at one time instead of having to update each column individually?
Do I need a separate user role object for my Vendors, Customers, Employees, Contacts, etc?
How can I set up my app so users see only their own data?
Can I combine two date fields into a single date field? For example, combining a start and end date into a single field?
Does Knack offer a service for building apps or have developers I can hire?
How do I bulk upload or import multiple images?
How can I change the color of something in my app?
Is it possible to display more than 100 records at a time on a table, list, or search view?
Can I migrate or transfer data from Zoho, Quickbase, or TrackVia?
Can I add chat or messaging to my app?
Can I sell my Knack apps?
Can I use Knack on mobile devices?
Do you have a sandbox or developer environment?
Can I send SMS or text messages using Knack?
Can I integrate Knack with other data, products, and services?
Can I create invoices and accept payments?
Can I have an app in a language besides English?
Can I email PDFs or other attachments to users with Knack?
Can I add Google Analytics to my Knack app?
Can I migrate my Access, Filemaker, SQL, or other databases?
Can I prototype for others?
Can I customize the look and feel of my Knack pages?
Can I use a barcode or credit card scanner with Knack?
Does Knack offer access to beta features?
How secure is Knack?
Does the signature captured through a signature field constitute a legally binding signature?
Does Knack offer a partner program?
How does Knack work on mobile devices? Is it mobile-friendly? Can users download my apps?
Is Knack GDPR compliant?
Storing sensitive data (credit cards, social security numbers, etc.)
Will Knack sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)?
Which browsers do you support?
How do I batch download all of the images and files In my app?
I'm seeing an odd character when importing data. How can I get rid of it?
How do I update existing data using an import?
My import is failing or getting stuck. What do I do?
Can I undo or reverse an import?
I'm having trouble importing into a specific type of field. What can I do?
Some of my fields aren't importing correctly. How can I fix that?
I'm having trouble importing into a connection field. What can I do?
Can I import something other than data? Like objects, pages, views, etc?
My import is taking a long time. Can you take a look?
I'm getting an error when importing. What do I do?
Do the validation rules on fields trigger when importing data?
Can I schedule or automate imports?
Can my users import data from the live app, instead of going through the builder/back-end?
I am importing data for the first time. How do I do that?
Can I import data into more than one object at the same time?
How To Guides
Add Functionality to Your Live App
How To Create Discount Codes
Create an Add To Favorites Feature
How to Access Private Records Without a Login
Accept Payments in a Live App
Manage Your Records
Use an Edit Form to Create Records If They Don't Exist
Track Which User Last Updated a Record
Copy a Record Using Record Rules
Track When Records are Created and Updated
Create a Version History for Records
Use Zapier to Insert Connected Records
Work with Connected Records
How to Show Multiple Fields in Your Connection Drop-Down
Showing Parent-Child Records in the Live App
How to Create Dynamic Dropdowns in Forms
Add Read-Only Fields to a Form
How to Change the Layout of Forms
Create a Multi-Part Form
How to Allow Users to Add New Options in Forms
How to Add Instructions to a Form
How to Customize the Text on a Submit Button
How to Automatically Capture a User’s Location on a Form
How to Use URL Variables to Pre-Populate a Form
How to Add a Map to a Details View
How to Add Connection Links to Views
How to Add Inline Editing to a Table
Create a Print-Friendly Invoice Page
How to Click on an Image to Go to Another Page
How to Add Groupings to a Table
Users & Logins
Force Users to Reset Their Passwords
Save a User's Payment Method
Create a Single Login Page for Multiple User Roles
Add Read-Only Access For Users
Show Records Connected To The Logged-in User's Company Or Other Group
Show Records Connected to the Logged-in User
Create an Admin User Role to View All Records
Workflow & Automations
Add a Pipeline to Your App
Create a Registration Form with Limited Availability
Add Stages to Your App
Store Multiple Images or Files for Individual Records
Use Multiple Image Sources for a Single Image Field
Create a Button or Link that Updates a Field to a Custom Value
Notify a User That an Item is Ready for Review
Add Assignments to Your App
Approve New Records Before Displaying Them
Add Notification & Reminder Emails to Your App
Add Status Indicators to Your App
Logic, Equations & Formulas
Start an Auto Increment Field from Any Number
Display a Message When a Deadline is Approaching
Generate Simple Numeric Barcodes Automatically
How to Set a Random ID
Calculate Age in Years from a Birthday
How To Number Line Items
Show Upcoming Birthdays
How to Extract the Start and End Dates from a Date Field
How to Display Multiple Date Formats Using a Single Date Field
Reports, Queries, and Summaries
Build an Inventory Manager App
Build a Quiz App
Build a Warehouse Manager App
Build a Member Directory
Build an Orders App
Build a Map Directory or Store Locator App
Images & Files
Manage Your Account
Manage Your Account
About Knack Accounts
Account Plans and Billing
Managing Your Apps
Managing Your Account Settings
Sharing Apps with Shared Builders
App Settings: Map Provider
Script Attack Protection: Whitelisted Custom Code Elements and Attributes
Script Attack Protection: Protected Areas
Security & Infrastructure
Security Best Practices
Builder Security Settings for All Knack Plans
Builder Two-Factor Authentication
Table of Contents
Updated by Sarto Jama
What are Maps?
A maps view is used to display records from your database on a map in your Live App.
Knack uses HERE Maps to display maps and geocode Address field values. You can also use Google as your provider by adding your own API key. This setting can be found on the App Settings > Map Provider page. To learn more about using HERE maps, Google maps, and the differences between them, see our article App Settings: Map Provider.
- The map view is currently only available on the Pro plan and above.
- Maps can only display objects that have an Address field. This address field will be geolocated and will determine which records the map will display.
- When using the latitude/longitude coordinates option for an address field, that location will display as the nearest street address on a map view, rather than the exact coordinates.
- Map views will automatically generate direction links that, when clicked, will open a new window for Google Maps where the user can get directions.
- Address fields used in Map views where the “Address Autocomplete” functionality is enabled will allow this autocomplete functionality in the search input.
What do maps look like in the Live App?
Maps display multiple records from one of the objects in your database in a graphical HERE map:
On the search results display, a “reset” link will appear. Clicking this will reset all search criteria to easily search again with new criteria.
You can also choose to use Google maps by entering your own API key. See the section above for more details on this.
To learn how to add, edit, and delete map views from your app, see About Views.
To access the settings of a map view, hover your mouse over the view and click on the pencil icon that appears at the top left of the view.
The source section is used to control the records the map will display.
- Filters: the map will display all the object's records by default. Use the data section to add rules to limit which records will be displayed.
- Sort: control the default sort order of which records will be displayed first.
- Limit: show all the available records or limit to a specific number.
Click here for more on working with the source.
The Map Settings section is used to control how the map works with your object to display addresses:
- Address Field: select a field that the map will use as the address to place each location on the map. This field must be the Address type.
- Note: New maps will use the first address field to display records in the map, as well as the first short text field as a label when displaying address details.
- Title Field: select a field the map will use to display for an address point. Choose a title, name, or other field that can easily identify the whole record.
- Map Size: the dimensions of the map in pixels. Use these to control how big you want the map to be.
- List Width: the width of the list that displays to the right of the map and contains the record details (see below). If the map and list width combined won't fit on the screen, then the list will bump below the map and be the same width as the map.
- Units: select which unit of measuring distance will be used on the map: Miles or Kilometers.
- Starting Range: the distance of the range to search by based on the selected unit (above). A record address must be within this distance of the searched address.
- Starting Point: Blank, Specific Address, or User's Current Location. If Blank, then no records will show until the user initiates a search. If an address is provided then the map will start with records closest to that address. When using the User's Current Location, the browser will ask the user's permission to locate them and use that location.
- Pin Colors: add custom rules to display different pin colors based on criteria you define.
- Pagination: pagination determines how many records will show at one time. If the total number of records exceeds the pagination number, then links will be added to the table to navigate all the pages. Options here include:
- Set how many records to show at a time
- Let the user set how many records to view per page
- Show pagination controls at bottom of view
- Filters: filters give the user tools to further refine which records the map will show. You can add filters as options for the user to add, or as a menu.
- User Filters: enabling user filters presents options for a user to add any filters they'd like to the map. This will then display an "add filter" link above the map. The map will update as soon as a filter is added. Multiple filters can be added as needed. You can determine if the fields available to filter are limited to the map details or all the object's fields. You can add preset filters that will initially filter the records.
- Filter Menu: enabling a filter menu will present links above the map the user can click that will filter the records based on the rules you create.
The List Details section controls the list that displays to the right of the map with additional details about each record:
This follows the same model as the details view.
In the Design section of the view editor, you can customize the title and description of your map or leave them blank.
Here is what a form looks like with no title or description:
Here is what a form with a title and description looks like:
Searching a Map
Knack uses HERE Maps to display maps and geocode Address field values.
HERE Maps currently support the below searches:
- street address + city
- street address + state
- street address + city + state
- city + state
- state (resolves to the state capital)
Unsupported searches include:
- street address only
- city only
- ZIP code only
- county only
There are several How-To Guides that involve using map views and our location features for capturing and displaying records: